Obelisk to San Carlo Borromeo

with No Comments

Obelisk to San Carlo Borromeo

The obelisk was erected to witness the passage of St. Carlo Borromeo at the monastery of Breme, which occurred in the year 1579. On the return trip to visit the churches of Valmacca and Frassineto Po, belonging to the vast Diocese of Milan, Carlo Borromeo was struck by the imposing abbey and decided to stop for a short rest. The hospitality of the monks and the community was so warm that Carlo Borromeo also stopped to pray the Rosary. The column was erected in 1623 and since then every day, at sunset, a bell tolling is given in memory of his passage. The obelisk in 1623 was placed in the main square in front of the guardhouse. In 1877 he was moved to the center of Piazza Marconi and later, in 1923, was placed at the foot of the Place d’Armes, now Church Square.

  • Name Obelisk to San Carlo Borromeo
  • Attraction Historical monument
  • Address Piazza della Chiesa – 27020 BREME (PV)
  • Tel. n/a
  • Fax n/a
  • E-Mail n/a
Back to the Map
© 2020 – Angelo Giammarresi